April 27, 2016

My learning experiences during the course


This weekend course was named "Mental health and wellbeing - focus on homeless and underprivileged populations". It was part of my Master Degree -studies.

I think this course was very interesting and important. The preventive work is very important when we want to promote people's wellbeing in the society. I think the big problem is that the service system is very diffuse and bureaucratic. For people with mental health problems or people with a bad ability to function it can cause more stress and more problems. Päivi Rissanen told about her own experiences of suffering mental health problems and how she finally was rehabilitated. That lecture was very touching. It made me think about the role of the society and individuals in rehabilitation process.

The lectures were spoken in English, so I had a good opportunity to improve my vocabulary. Some articles in English were quite difficult but group work gave a possibility to learn from other students and get help from them.

I think one of the most interesting parts of the course was visiting Lehmustupa housing unit. We could meet the residents and workers there. They told us about their experiences and answered our questions, it was very interesting.


Who am I?

Saara Harju, 28
Master Degree -student
Promotion of the health and wellbeing of people in danger of marginalization (90 ECTS)
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki Finland

No comments:

Post a Comment